The United Nations (UN) has temporarily halted humanitarian aid operations in the North East state of Borno over incessant attacks on its operatives and facilities by the Boko Haram sect.
The development was disclosed by a UN spokesman on Monday.
Furthermore, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs has relocated its staff from the area. The move comes after Boko Haram launched attacks earlier this month on humanitarian operations in Dikwa and Damasak.
Stephane Dujarric, spokesman for UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, revealed that the development will hurt needy beneficiaries in the affected region.
“Nearly 9,000 internally displaced people and 76,000 people in the host community will be impacted,” Dujarric said.
The UN spokesman added that the agency is closely monitoring the situation in Nigeria.
In the latest attack by Boko Haram on the aid agency, at least five non-governmental offices and several vehicles; a mobile storage unit, water tanks, a health outpost and a nutrition stabilization centre were damaged.
Nevertheless, the resident and humanitarian coordinator in Nigeria, Edward Kallon, says the UN will resume operations as soon as possible; adding that this is necessary so that civilians affected by the conflict continue to receive the assistance they need.
Kallon condemned the attacks on civilians and civilian infrastructure; even as he stated that the actions of Boko Haram may violate international humanitarian law.